Celebrities have lost their homes, major Hollywood events have been cancelled and actors have displayed real-life heroics as massive fire rage in California.

Paris HiltonAnna FarisBilly CrystalJennifer Grey, James Woods and Ricki Lake are among the stars whose homes have been claimed by the wildfire as it raged through the Pacific Palisades enclave and onto other parts of Los Angeles, where a lot of celebrities live.

And Mel Gibson has become the latest actor – and highest profile Aussie star so far – to also be impacted by the devastating fires.

“Obviously, it’s kind of devastating. It’s emotional,” he said.

“You live there for a long time, and you had all your stuff. You remember [comedian] George Carlin talking about your stuff? I had my stuff there, and it’s all like, I’ve been relieved from the burden of my stuff because it’s all in cinders.”

Ruins of Mel Gibson's Malibu home on NewsNation's Elizabeth Vargas Reports.
Gibson’s Malibu home was destroyed in the Palisades Fire he revealed, while he was away recording a podcast with Joe Rogan in Austin, Texas. (Youtube/Elizabeth Vargas Reports)
Ruins of Mel Gibson's Malibu home on NewsNation's Elizabeth Vargas Reports.
The Oscar-winning actor and director shared the news during a telephone interview with NewsNation’s Elizabeth Vargas Reports. (Youtube/Elizabeth Vargas Reports)

Gibson said he was “ill at ease” during the podcast with Rogan because he was aware that his neighbourhood was on fire.

“When I got home, sure enough, [the house] wasn’t there,” he told Vargas.

“I went home and I said to myself, ‘Well at least I haven’t got any of those pesky plumbing problems anymore.’”

He said he and his girlfriend had evacuated, but she stayed in Calfornia while he went to Texas to do the podcast.

“I have never seen a place so perfectly burned,” Gibson said of his destroyed home.

“You could put it in an urn.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 04:  Benjamin Rigby attends the World Premiere of "Alien: Covenant" at Odeon Leicester Square on May 4, 2017 in London, England.  (Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage)
Benjamin Rigby is “absolutely and completely broken” after his LA home was destroyed by the fire. (WireImage)

Fellow Aussie actor Benjamin Rigby also told fans of his devastation sharing a harrowing image of what was left of his home – a single singed staircase.

The Queensland-raised actor, who has starred in films such as Alien: Covenant and Ford v. Ferrari, simply wrote on social media, “My heart is absolutely and completely broken. Our home is gone.”

Friends of the former Neighbours star have banded together to create a GoFundMe to help him and his partner Daren with anything they need after losing their home.

Melanie Zanetti, the voice of Chilli in Bluey, asked for support from her fans on social media.

Actor Benjamin Rigby palisades fire home
The Aussie actor shared what was left of his home. (Instagram/@brigby)

“One of my dearest friends (Rigby) and his partner have lost their home in the LA fires,” she wrote, “Anything will help. Love to everyone in LA. Stay safe everyone XX.”

The fundraiser, set up by a friend and fellow actress Belinda Misevski, has raised $28,818 so far.

In the description, she added that the Aussie star and his partner were not at home at the time of the disaster and are physically safe.

After losing her east Los Angeles home, food icon Molly Baz shared the final photo she captured of the property before it was destroyed.

Celebrity chef Molly Baz's Instagram Story about losing her home in the LA fires, January 2025
Popular cookbook author Molly Baz has lost her home in the fires, sharing the final photo she took inside. (Molly Baz)

“The last photo I took before we lost it all,” the cookbook author captioned a photo of her baby son sitting in her kitchen, which was filled with candles for light.

“We’ll recover someday. Thank you to the village.”

Baz’s husband, furniture and spatial designer Ben Willet, also shared a video taken while driving through the city’s smouldering streets, writing, “we are safe. we lost everything. nothing left. sending love to all affected.”

Actress and singer Mandy Moore shared an update with fans after being evacuated with her family, revealing she feels “weird survivors guilt” after the fires ravaged her community.

Mandy moore
Actress and singer Mandy Moore has shared an update after being evacuated with her family amid the fires. (mandymooremm/instagram)

Moore revealed in a candid new post that she and her musician husband Taylor Goldsmith were able to safely head back to their home to inspect the damage to their property, after the fires tore through their suburb.

Sharing some devastating pictures of their home, with rubble and smoke around, the This Is Us star, 40, said it was “miraculous” that “the main part of the house is still standing”.

But she said it’s not “livable” and that they lost their studio, garage and back house.

The Candy singer said “every house on [her] street is gone,” and that because of this, her and her husband feel “weird survivors guilt”.

Mandy Moore shares update on her property amid California wildfires
Her and her husband were able to safely head back to their home to inspect the damage to their property. (mandymooremm/instagram)

“We were able to park and walk up our street to bear witness to all the loss. Miraculously, the main part of our house is still standing. For now. It’s not livable but mostly intact,” Moore said.

“We lost Taylor and griffin’s studio with every instrument and piece of equipment they’ve ever owned. We lost our garage and back house. Everyone we know lost everything.”

Revealing the devastation on her street and for her extended family, she added: “Every house on our street is gone. My in-laws. My brother and sister in-law – 6 weeks from welcoming their first baby. Our best friends.”

“We love this community and will do everything we can to help rebuild and support. Thanks for everyone for checking on us and offering us help. Altadena strong.”

READ MORE: All the Hollywood productions paused as wildfires cover LA

Mandy Moore shares update on her property amid California wildfires
Moore said she feels “weird survivors guilt” after the fires ravaged her community. (mandymooremm/instagram)

She received messages of support underneath.

Before this, Moore and her family had to evacuate for their safety and she said they didn’t know if their home had “made it”.

“Evacuated and safe with kids, dog and cats,” she wrote on her Instagram stories to her millions of followers.

“Praying and grateful for the first responders.”

And Mel Gibson has become the latest actor – and highest profile Aussie star so far – to also be impacted by the devastating fires. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Gibson’s Malibu home was destroyed in the Palisades Fire he revealed, while he was away recording a podcast with Joe Rogan in Austin, Texas.

The Oscar-winning actor and director shared the news during a telephone interview with NewsNation’s Elizabeth Vargas Reports.

Gibson, who spoke over footage showing the remains of his home, said he was doing OK in the wake of the destruction.