Why Prince Harry Abruptly Quit the Charity He Founded in Mom Princess Diana’s Honor

Prince Harry and longtime friend Prince Seeiso of Lesotho made the shocking announcement that they’re stepping down from their African charity Sentebale, which they cofounded back in 2006.

Prince Harry is royally devastated.

Nearly two decades after the Duke of Sussex and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho founded the charity Sentebale in honor of their respective late mothers Princess Diana and Queen ‘Mamohato, they announced they are resigning from their positions as patrons amid controversy among the charity’s leadership, which is being investigated by U.K.-based agency the Charity Commission.

“What’s transpired is unthinkable,” the pair said in a joint statement given to the Press Association March 26. “We are in shock that we have to do this, but we have a continued responsibility to Sentebale’s beneficiaries, so we will be sharing all of our concerns with the Charity Commission as to how this came about.”

“Nearly 20 years ago, we founded Sentebale in honor of our mothers,” their statement went on. “Sentebale means ‘forget-me-not’ in Sesotho, the local language of Lesotho, and it’s what we’ve always promised for the young people we’ve served through this charity. Today is no different.”

E! News has reached out to Prince Harry for comment and has not heard back.

With Love, Meghan, Netflix, Meghan Markle
read
Meghan Markle Shares Rare Photo of Her and Prince Harry’s Kids Archie and Lilibet

The pair cited, per NBC News, an alleged breakdown in the relationship between Sentebale’s board of trustees and its chairwoman—listed on the charity’s website as Dr. Sophie Chandauka—and a subsequent request for her to step down made by the board.

Harry and Seeiso’s statement went on to back the decision of the board—which includes the Spare author’s friend Mark Dyer—to also step down from Sentebale amid the investigation.

“With heavy hearts, we have resigned from our roles as patrons of the organization until further notice, in support of and solidarity with the board of trustees who have had to do the same,” they said. “It is devastating that the relationship between the charity’s trustees and the chair of the board broke down beyond repair, creating an untenable situation.”

Prince Harry, London, 2023Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

Adding to the controversy, the “heartbroken” pair revealed that Dr. Chandauka is also suing the board of trustees for questioning her leadership of Sentebale, which has focused on supporting young people in Africa affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis since 2006.

“These trustees acted in the best interest of the charity in asking the chair to step down while keeping the well-being of staff in mind,” Harry and Seeiso emphasized. “In turn, she sued the charity to remain in this voluntary position, further underscoring the broken relationship.”

They finished by maintaining their support for the underlying mission of Sentebale nearly 20 years after they cofounded the charity.

“Although we may no longer be patrons, we will always be its founders,” they noted, “and we will never forget what this charity is capable of achieving when it is in the right care.”

For her part, Dr. Chandauka, who has led the board of trustees since last year, shared in a statement that that Sentebale was “not a vanity project from which I can resign when I am called to account.”

Prince William, Princess Diana, Prince Harry, 1995Anwar Hussein/Getty Images

“Everything I do at Sentebale is in pursuit of the integrity of the organisation, its mission, and the young people we serve,” she said in a statement obtained by NBC News. “There are people in this world who behave as though they are above the law and mistreat people, and then play the victim card and use the very press they disdain to harm people who have the courage to challenge their conduct.”

She went on to share that she’d reported members of the board to the Charity Commission, which oversees registered charities in England and Wales, for their conduct.

As Dr. Chandauka explained, “Beneath all the victim narrative and fiction that has been syndicated to press is the story of a woman who dared to blow the whistle about issues of poor governance, weak executive management, abuse of power, bullying, harassment, misogyny, misogynoir—and the coverup that ensued. I could be anyone. I just happen to be an educated woman who understands that the law will guide and protect me.”

Former members of the board expressed their disappointment about how the entire situation has unfolded.

“Today’s decision is nothing short of devastating for all of us, but we see no other path forward as the result of our loss in trust and confidence in the chair of the board,” the statement provided to NBC News read. “It’s desperately sad the breakdown in relationship escalated to a lawsuit by the chair against the charity, to block us from voting her out after our request for her resignation was rejected.”

Prince Harry, 2022, through the yearsPaul Marriott/Shutterstock

“We could not in good conscience allow Sentebale to undertake that legal and financial burden and have been left with no other option but to vacate our positions,” the trustees continued. “This was not a choice willingly made, but rather something we felt forced into in order to look after the charity.”

Meanwhile, the Charity Commission confirmed that it was looking into the matter.

“We can confirm that we are aware of concerns about the governance of Sentebale,” the organization said in a statement to NBC News. “We are assessing the issues to determine the appropriate regulatory steps.”

Keep reading for more news on the British royal family…

(NBCNews and E! News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)

The Duke and Duchess of Westminster Expecting Their First Baby

Hugh Grosvenor, who is King Charles III’s godson, and his wife Olivia Grosvenor announced March 12 that she is pregnant with their first baby.

“The duchess is expecting a baby in the summer,” a spokesperson told The Telegraph. “The couple are delighted with the news and are very much looking forward to starting a family together.”

Luxembourg’s Prince Fredrik Dies at 22

Prince Frederik—the son of Prince Robert and his wife Princess Juliedied March 1 at 22 years old after a battle with PolG mitochondrial disease, a rare genetic disorder.

“Frederik knows that he is my Superhero, as he is to all of our family, and to so very many good friends and now in great part thanks to his PolG Foundation, to so very many people the world over,” Robert said in a statement. “Part of his superpower was his ability to inspire and to lead by example.”

 

Prince Harry Reaches Settlement in U.K. Tabloids Lawsuit

The Duke of Sussex reached a settlement with News Group Newspapers—which is responsible for The Sun as well as the now defunct News of the World—on Jan. 22 after suing the organization in 2019 over alleged unlawful actions on the part of journalists and private investigators working for the newspapers to obtain information on the royal family.

The deal included the company paying “substantial damages,” as well as issuing a “full and unequivocal apology” to Harry and public acknowledgement of “the extensive coverage and serious intrusion into his private life as well as the private life of Diana, Princess of Wales,” per NBC News.

Kate Middleton Is in Remission After Finishing Chemotherapy for Cancer

The Princess of Wales announced on Jan. 14 that she’s in remission after complete cancer treatments.

“It is a relief to now be in remission and I remain focused on recovery,” she wrote in a message on X, formerly Twitter, Jan. 14. “As anyone who has experienced a cancer diagnosis will know, it takes time to adjust to a new normal.”

“I am however looking forward to a fulfilling year ahead,” she continued. “There is much to look forward to.”

Meghan Markle’s Longtime Dog Guy Dies

The Duchess of Sussex mourned the death of her beloved rescue beagle, who she adopted in 2015 before meeting husband Prince Harry.

She wrote on Instagram Jan. 7, “I have cried too many tears to count – the type of tears that make you get in the shower with the absurd hope that the running water on your face will somehow make you not feel them, or pretend they’re not there. But they are. And that’s okay too.”

“Thank you for so many years of unconditional love, my sweet Guy,” Meghan added. “You filled my life in ways you’ll never know.”

 

Prince William Mourns Death of Former Nanny’s Stepson

Edward “Ed” Pettifer—stepson of Prince William and Prince Harry’s former nanny Alexandra Pettifer, also known as Tiggy Legge-Bourke—was one of the victims of the New Year’s Day terrorist attack in New Orleans.

“Catherine and I have been shocked and saddened by the tragic death of Ed Pettifer,” William said in a message posted on Kate Middleton’s Instagram Stories Jan. 4. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with the Pettifer family and all those innocent people who have been tragically impacted by this horrific attack.”

Meghan Markle Rejoins Instagram to Reveal New Netflix Show

The Suits alum—who shut down her personal social media accounts shortly before her 2018 wedding to Prince Harry—debuted a solo Instagram page on Jan. 1.

A day later, she announced a new Netflix series titled With Love, Meghan, which “reimagines the genre of lifestyle programming, blending practical how-to’s and candid conversation with friends, new and old,” according to a press release.