Lester Holt steps down from NBC Nightly News in shakeup for network as he pens farewell note & gives update on next move
NBC News mainstay Lester Holt has stepped down from anchoring duties in the latest blow to the embattled network.
He’s paring down his responsibilities as mainstream media outlets are crumbling under shocking departures and a post-election slump.
Holt, 61, will no longer host NBC Nightly News at 6:30 pm but will stay working with the long-form TV show Dateline, he announced Monday.
In a note written to his staff, Holt thanked everyone for all their hard work and said he looked forward to continuing his work on the investigations team.
“A smile comes to my face when I think that with Nightly News and Dateline, I have now anchored two of the most successful and iconic television news programs in broadcast history,” he said.
“As a 20-year-old radio reporter on the police beat chasing breaking news around San Francisco, I could never have imagined my career path would unfold in the way it has. What an amazing ride.”
Holt started anchoring the program in June 2015 after hosting weekend news programs for the network for 12 years.
He’s also been the principal anchor for Dateline since September 2011.
The heavyweight journalist’s shocking announcement comes after NBC Universal has seen an influx of departures and high-profile firings as it makes major business strategy changes.
Sister company MSNBC has undergone significant change since getting a new president and has been battling volatile viewership since Donald Trump handily won the election.
On Sunday, anchor Joy Reid’s entire staff for her program The Reidout was told that she was being let go and that the show had been canceled.
Reid, who has been anchoring for the network since 2014, confirmed the news and said she’d been signing off for the last time on Monday night.
Meanwhile, the wildly popular Rachel Maddow has been thrust back into the anchoring chair full-time for Trump’s first 100 days in a desperate appeal to staunch liberal viewers.
Before the change, she was reportedly making millions by appearing only on Monday nights.
And the program Ayman Mohyeldin Reports will reportedly be canceled in April as a part of the network-wide shakeup, sources told The Guardian.
The Today show, which remains one of NBC Universal’s most popular programs, is now looking different after beloved host Hoda Kotb left the network.
In his email to staff, Holt said that he would continue hosting Nightly News until the beginning of the summer, when he would move to Dateline full-time.
“As we get closer, I’ll of course firm up the date and keep all of you in the loop,” he told staff.
“In the meantime, to my Nightly friends, I look forward to sharing some banana pudding as is our send-off tradition.”
BIG NEWS
Journalist Chuck Todd, who announced his departure from NBC News last month, explained why he believes the network is struggling.
He was with the network for 18 years and was one of the most outspoken voices protesting the hiring of former Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel as an analyst.
When McDaniel’s hiring was announced nearly a year ago, anchors combined forces to immediately oust her from the network.
In a memo written to colleagues, Todd said, “National media can’t win trust back without having a robust partner locally and trying to game algorithms is no way to inform and report.
“People are craving community and that’s something national media or the major social media companies can’t do as well as local media.
“If you do this job seeking popularity or to simply be an activist, you are doing this job incorrectly.”
News
“Elon Musk Backs U.S. Withdrawal from NATO, United Nations”
Elon Musk Backs U.S. Exit from NATO and the United Nations Billionaire Elon Musk has thrown his support behind the…
“Zelensky Open to Meeting Trump Again—But Only for Serious, Constructive Talks”
Zelensky Willing to Meet Trump Again for ‘Serious Talks’ Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has expressed his willingness to meet with…
🚨 JUST IN – 10 MINUTES AGO: The WORLD IN SHOCK as Elon Musk drops a BOMBSHELL, releasing an uncensored list and photos of celebrities linked to Diddy! 😱🔥 “Everyone deserves to know,” Musk declares, sending the internet into a frenzy! 🚀📸
BREAKING: Elon Musk’s BOMBSHELL Celebrity Leak Sends Shockwaves Worldwide In a jaw-dropping revelation, Elon Musk has ignited a global frenzy…
**EXPLOSIVE:** Paul Simon SLAMS the Grammys, declaring **“Giving Beyoncé a country music award is a SLAP in the face of the genre!”** 🎤🔥 His bold statement ignites a firestorm of debate across the music industry! 🚨😱
Paul Simon: “Giving Beyoncé A Grammy In The Country Music Category Is A Slap In The Face Of This Music…
**SHOCKING:** Sunny Hostin STUNS *The View* audience by BLASTING Elon Musk as a **“bastard”** on live TV! 😱 Musk’s response leaves the entire studio in **complete shock**, forcing Joy Behar to issue an URGENT on-air apology! 🔥🔥
Posted by – February 28, 2025 BREAKING: Sunny Hostin shocks audience by calling Elon Musk a “bastard” on The View….
End of content
No more pages to load